Ok so everyone is waiting for the next iPhone and I even know of some people that are actually waiting on their upgrade until Apple announces the next phone. For them its mostly so that they won’t get stuck with a phone that gets outdated in 2 months.
Apple’s WWDC (Worldwide Developers Conference) is set to happen June 11-15. Usually this conference revolves around the iOS software releases but it is expected by many that at this keynote we will also get an announcement for the new iPhone. The name is still in speculation now that Apple seems to have gone back to a no number system for naming their products (i.e. the most recent iPad is officially market as ‘the new iPad’ rather than the iPad 3). So this could be the iPhone 4G? iPhone LTE? iPhone 5? the new iPhone?
But what I need from Apple are a couple of things with this new phone:
- LTE - real 4G speeds no HSPA+ networks. AT&T keeps putting out their commercials about how iPhone is the fastest on their network and this is true but it STILL SUCKS. Right now I don’t have much of an issue because most of the times that I am using my phone I am near Wi-Fi and so my speeds are still good. But pretty soon I’ll be out and about and relying on the the AT&T network which BTW sucks
- New hardware design - Although I still love the way the iPhone looks and I think it’s a beautiful design, I need something new that looks different. I know you people have crazy good designers so I’m hoping I won’t be disappointed on this front.
- MY phone - this is kind of a stretch but I want my phone to not look like everyone else’s. Any way to customize the phone without having to use cases would be nice. This is a stretch and I’m sure won’t happen but I just thought I would put that out there
- New OS look - it’s not just about the hardware its also about the software. I need better features on my phone and possibly a new way to get around on the phone. Sure all the internal applications probably wont get redone but the main page could do some redoing. right now it looks static. Which brings me to my next point
- Widgets - Android and Windows are totally winning on this. I don’t want to have to launch an application to just check something very small. Or get to a quick switch like turning my bluetooth on. Please fix this. like YESTERDAY
- An offline Siri - I don’t want all of Siri offline just the parts that really don’t require her to record my request, send it out to apple, receive the command and then execute it to simply play a playlist in my iTunes library. The pre-siri assistant was able to do all of this without having to send out any information to anyone. Please bring back this functionality without having to turn off Siri
- Better Music player - I like the way the new iTunes is laid out and the way you browse music on it. It may be hard to do but just redo the music player it feels stale right now.
- Facetime over cellular data - If you have LTE on your next phone (which you better) then there is no longer an excuse to not have facetime available all the time. Heck even with the iPhone 4s and their faux-4g you coulda made it happen but whatever.
- NFC - I need you to have this on the phone already. It’s the way of the future so please do it already.
So why do I need these things? Because I feel like I am being left behind. I’ve been feeling the need to move over to an Android phone again because the reasons why I was originally staying with iPhone are quickly being checked off. At first it was because the platform was very buggy but the OS has matured a lot now. Then it was the developers weren’t there yet. But now, for the most part, any application that I have is also released for Android. Another excuse was the way I would sync with everything. iTunes just does it perfectly for my music. But now that I have Spotify AND google music that is no longer an issue. I can rely on the cloud for all my music needs and if need be also my iPad.
So you see Apple, as much as I am a loyal customer I am still a geeky kid who wants to have cool stuff and I am more that than your fan boy. So if you can’t provide what I need then I will find another mobile phone that can.